Wednesday, October 21, 2009

a productively fun day

Jose and I had a fun lunch with our friends today and afterwards we went to McKay’s - a used book, CD, and more store. We had a delightful time together. We giggled like two little kids (I would say two little school girls, but he might get offended). I had store credit so that made it guilt-free spending, sort of. He got a video game and a couple of books. I found an Elmo movie for Cameron, a movie for myself, a new edition dictionary, and my favorite find, the Anne of Green Gables book on CD. I can’t wait to listen to this. I’m thinking I can sync this to the iPod and listen to literature while I walk.

One can never have too many fat quarters, wouldn’t you agree? I went to the LQS looking for a specific pattern. Reproduction of course. I couldn’t find it. I asked about it and they can’t get it. It’s Moda! Go figure…Anyway, there are other places. However, these fat quarters are exceptionally close to the pattern I want with a mere difference of base color. Six fat quarters for fifteen dollars – not bad in my book. I even had a helper named Jose. :)

I also went by the LNS and picked up some WDW and GAST threads so I can frog the crud out of Crows (that sounds funny – lol), start on another project, and bought a piece of 32 ct. linen so I can hand dye it.




Here is the Dutch beauty. Trees by The Workbasket. I’m stitching it on 32 ct. Exampler Vintage which is probably one of my favorite hand-dyed linens. It’s gorgeous and has plenty of variation. Plus, it’s versatile enough for so many designs. I love the owl, but so many more cute animals to come.

I normally wouldn't bash JCS and I'll try not to, but I am extremely disappointed with the latest issue. I think I managed to get through it in 0.8 seconds it was that terrible. I didn't enjoy it at all. There are two things of slight interest. One is an ad I saw - I'm going to visit the website at least. And two, was a dainty little design that says Happy Holidays (I think). Not sure that I'll make it into a mitten, but I do like the "primitive" feel and the Charlie Brown tree. Other than that this issue is blah.

On a more positive note, I'm adopting a system from Aunt Pam to implement a new way of organizing my DMC threads. I still use the Lorann cards and the bobbins and the floss bags and ALL this for storage. I don't like it. My aunt has a fabulous system set up for her DMC and I think it'll work beautifully for me as well. So far I have the 3x5 index cards and zip lock bags. Next I need storage containers so I think this calls for a trip to Dollar General or the like. Tomorrow might be a good day for that since it's a "me" day. Friday is movie day for me and my biggest baby. :) Talk soon!

2 comments:

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

They used to have a McKays in Fayetteville, NC and we'd go there when we were in town - my grandmother's parents lived there and are buried there. Anyway, great bookshop!!! I used to love going in as a kid and sitting on the floor of the kids area and reading.

Great stitchy pics!
Tanya

Tracey said...

Here is the link for my LQS: http://www.thistlebeequiltshoppe.com/- not sure how they do for long distance ordering but it's worth a shot! They are a tiny little shop but they have a whole lot of fabric stuffed in it!
Sounds like you had a great day yesterday and found some good finds! The fabric and thread is beautiful!