Monday, October 19, 2009

grandma’s pillow finis

I finally finished Grandma’s Pillow and I am jumping up and down with joy. After sewing the back and pressing it with my iron I literally stood back and my legs wiggled I was so excited at the outcome. ;o) This is the best pillow finishing I’ve ever done! Grandma would be proud. I found a way to make ALL four corners look identical to which I am ecstatic about. I was having trouble before...but…not…anymore. I love finding new ways to “up the ante” especially when you happen to stumble across them instead of planning them out. That’s the best way to learn, imho.

Sequence of events…



I added buttons and vintage lace. Grandma would have loved this idea. I’m quite pleased, if I may say so myself. ;-)




I love the fabric I picked. I was unsure at the LQS, but bought it anyway. I am so glad I did. It is from Windham Fabrics, Colonies Pink and Blue III circa 1870. Grandma’s Pillow measures 13”w x 9”h – a perfect size, I think. I ironed interfacing and pressed the entire piece once I turned it right side out.

I’m so happy with the finish ~ one of my favs! I went to moms today and had a show and tell. She was quite impressed as I knew she would be. I’m getting better at finishing which Aunt Pam would be proud of b/c she’s an appliqué/embroidery queen. Her threads are hidden so well and she would be so surprised at my skills on this piece. I may have to bring Grandma’s Pillow along to the next moonlight stitching to show it off to my ‘home girls.’ ;-p

In the foreground, notice the tiny black and white photo encased in the gold frame? That’s my grandma when she was just a toddler; Anna Kaufhold as stitched on the pillow. That picture was maybe taken around 1919-1920. She looks like a doll.

Gotta run! My final 2009 Stacy Nash club kit came in the mail today. Yay! It is Christmasy and oh so darling. I’m stitching on my Crows tonight. I think I can get it done this evening. And I finished kitting up Trees by The Workbasket last night and even started it, but more on that later. I’m typing out loud…lol…Talk soon!


11 comments:

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

That is so beautiful, Julie!
Love the fabric you picked!
So, how did you get the corners so perfect????? Mine are always different but I'm still practicing LOL

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Julie, I love the Pillow !!! Great way to show how it is made. Thanks, For the idea... I think I will do one for my grandmother that has past on...

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Looks fabulous, Julie!!

Tanya

kimstitch3 said...

How beautiful Julie, congrats on a wonderful finish!!

Dora said...

A fabulous finish, Julie! I like the sequence of pictures, too.

Tracey said...

Gorgeous pillow! And thanks for showing us how you finished it!

Maggie said...

So you should be proud! your finishing is perfect! as is the choice of fabric :-)

Your grandmother would be really proud of you!

Shari said...

gorgeous work Julie!!!! Congrats & I know your grandma would be proud!!!!

Heidi said...

I love your finished sampler pillow. I did mine as remembrance of my grandmother too. The lace and buttons just work on this sweet sampler don't they. Great job!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Andrea said...

A beautiful pillow finish.

mainely stitching said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish, Julie!!!