Wednesday, December 3, 2008

pomegranate fabric

For the first time I hand-dyed a piece of 28 count linen with a pomegranate. I am pretty happy with the results. The whole process kind of felt like cooking which I actually don't like to do, but this was fun. I had a good time and waiting around wasn't such a bad thing. lol Anyway, if anyone is interested in using pomegranate to dye fabric here are the instructions. I have to give credit, though, where credit is due. I got this unique idea from Nancy. She's a very clever lady so check out Nancy's Blog. Thanks again, Nancy, for the idea and inspiration!

Process For Hand-Dyeing Fabric Using Pomegranate

First rule of thumb...there is no rule! There is no right or wrong way to dye the linen.

I used gloves when “shucking” the seeds out of the fruit, but that’s because I was afraid the juice may stain my fingers, but this is totally up to you. After awhile I took the gloves off and had no problems. However, still consider the surface you’re using to dye your fabric no matter what stain you’re using.

A. Cut 1 pomegranate and remove seeds and keep skin (I didn’t use the skin, but you definitely can).

B. Fill a 3-quart pot a little more than halfway with water. Bring to a boil and then add the seeds and skin (skin not required) and allow boiling to continue for 10 minutes.

C. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. I left the seeds in the water while cooling, but that is because I didn’t know to take them out before cooling. However, I do not think this matters as it didn’t make or break my dyeing process. Use your discretion. It’s your linen! After the water is cooled, remove the seeds (and skin). I squeezed whatever juice was left from the seeds but you don’t have to do this.

D. Dunk your linen in the cooled pomegranate water. Depending on how dark you want your linen determines the length of time you allow it to sit. I allowed the linen 5 minutes with an occasional stirring method with tongs.

E. After the first 5 minutes I dunked the linen in a mixture of cold water and about 2-3 teaspoons of white vinegar. And I sloshed that around a bit. Just use enough water that it’ll cover the majority of the linen. See if the linen is your desired color. If not, proceed to letter “F”. If it is, jump to letter “G”.

F. Put the linen back into the cold pomegranate water and let the linen sit for another 5 minutes, but check it at least once for coloring depth. After 5 minutes, rinse in the cool water and vinegar.

G. Hang linen to dry then press with hot iron.

As Nancy says, 'a picture really doesn't do the piece any justice, does it?'. She is so right in her assessment. It is difficult to tell from the photo, but it does present a hand-dyed appearance. It really looks nice.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm glad you had as much fun with this as I did Julie! My linen is the same shade only very, very light. Enjoy!

Julie said...

Nancy, WHAT would I have done without you??? You are a God-send for this ingenious technique. I'm going to stick by this "recipe" and will always give you the credit you deserve. I loved every second of it. My mom was pretty impressed by it. She couldn't believe how nice it turned out. I'm now wondering what other fruit and veggie could we use! Hmmmm...what stains clothing??? :D LOL

Becky K in OK said...

The fabric is beautiful. I'm going to try some coffee dyeing on a couple of my prim.

primitivebettys said...

That is so pretty! I may have to try it too! :)

Roberta said...

Julie, I think the linen looks great. I have my pomegranate waiting for me to open it - then I want to try this.

Roberta in Geogia