Monday, May 11, 2009

petite lettres rouges

Petite Lettres Rouges by Blackbird Designs. This was a freebie sampler and contest piece. The contest is over, but I still wanted to stitch this design. I used my late-grandmother for inspiration who instilled the "art" in needleart, and to my mother who taught me the "work" in needlework. This is her mother ~ my mothers. I miss my grandmother very much. Her maiden name was Anna Kaufhold, born in 1917. She passed away in 2005. I borrowed the bird motif from BBD's My Heart Is True booklet. I added a heart for my love for her and the memories I embrace today. I stitched my initials and year so that in case I forget one day, as she did, how my needle came about, I'll have a reminder of times past. I think I'm going to make this into a throw pillow for my bed. I have a really pretty white eyelet cotton I'd like to use. It's lacey-looking and I think it will compliment the design. I might add some more detail and other fabrics too.

I stitched this on 28 ct Antique linen, using DMC 221, 3721, 3722.

Talk soon!

5 comments:

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Beautiful, Julie. I loved this chart - your finish is delightful.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

It is lovely Julie. A great tribute to your grandmother. Mine died in 2006 and I understand how you miss her.

Carol R said...

I love your interpretation of this pretty little sampler Julie.

Great Mother's Day card in your previous post too!

The Scarlett House said...

It's really wonderful, Julie. I love how you made it a tribute.

BTW, I'm hooked. I finished Twilight last night and started New Moon. It has sure sucked me right in, no pun intended, lol.
I GET it now!

mainely stitching said...

Oh, it's just gorgeous!!