Monday, May 25, 2009

memorial day

My Grandpa was a WWII veteran. I can’t possibly imagine the things he must have witnessed during the war and I can’t possibly fathom the nightmares that followed. But one thing I know, he was a remarkable man of very few words, but when he spoke it was funny and genuine. He passed away from pneumonia in 1993 when I was 16. There isn’t a year that passes where I don’t wish he were here today so I could sit and chat with him. I know he would find my morals, opinions and views uplifting, and he would agree with my thoughts wholeheartedly. He would also find my sons fascinating and that makes me laugh. I love him more today than ever before and wished that he was here with me and my family. [This photo is really in color and I turned it to gray scale. These are grandpa's hats, his dog tags, and a Japanese flag he acquired somehow before coming home.

Grandpa in the South Pacific during the war.

Grandma and Grandpa in their younger days.

I stitched Bent Creek's Courage a couple years ago in remembrance of my grandpa. Sadly, I haven’t found a way to finish-finish it yet. Once it’s finished I am setting it next to the items (photo above) that belonged to my grandpa located in my curio cabinet.

I’m thankful for days like Memorial Day because it’s just another excuse, another reason more, to sit back and pay tribute to him and all the others just like him. Happy Memorial Day!

Onto stitching…

Me and mom met up with our friends, Sally and Susan, today to do a little Memorial Day cross stitch shopping because the LNS was open and why not!!! We had a good time and continued our visit at Red Robin for lunch. That was yummy-fun. Even Jose tagged along at the store and for lunch ~ he was awfully patient and well-mannered! Here’s some great stash I picked up on our outing.

I love the punchneedle sampler design by Stone & Thread. You don't see these too often in punchneedle so I had to have it. Everyone notices the Notforgotten Farm Christmas Cat! design. I love the verse: Not a critter was stirring...except for the CAT! LOL I don't own a cat but it is still cute. And lastly, Banbury Cross by Little by Little. This design just struck me. At first I didn't realize that the monkey was riding a rooster and when I looked more closely I knew I had to have this chart. The colors are yet again vibrant. The design itself is really cute. It reminds me of India - minus the rooster. It's just a whimsy piece that I think will be fun to stitch, so into the stash pile it goes.

Birds and Berries by Sheepish Designs. The colors in this piece are so vibrant and cheery.

The leather cording and yarn stuff would be nice to use for hanging pillows or cupboard door cushions. There was scrap linen and this piece was only $2.20. It is 32 ct, 9 1/2 x 10 1/2. I plan on dyeing it with RIT dye. Not too shabby I thought. I got a skein of pink Perle cotton to make a tassel for a pair of vintage scissors I own.

Me and the boys are off to have dinner with my FIL. I believe we're having Mexican food at El Chico ~ Adios!

Talk soon!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Great stash, Julie! I find when I get those great charts I didn't even know I was looking for, it's like finding treasure!

Carol R said...

I like the memorial to your grandfather!

Lea said...

Thank you for sharing a special memory of your Grandfather.

Now, I need to go check Notforgotten's website!*S*
P.S. I love your very Americana cross stitch. :-)

Deb said...

Wow, love all the stash that you got. And such a great memorial to your grandfather!

Siobhán said...

Lovely memorial to your grandfather, Julie.

Love the new stash!

The Scarlett House said...

Hi Julie, what about making a shadow box for your Grandfather's things? You could put your little stitched piece in there, too.